Angus has practised as a solicitor in New Zealand and the United Kingdom since 2001 and specialises in commercial and civil litigation.
At Fee Langstone, he has a broad practice which covers liability and professional indemnity claims, credit work, policy coverage and general insurance related issues. Angus also has extensive experience in a wide range of areas including partnership disputes, shareholder/director disputes, professional negligence, intellectual property, consumer law, civil fraud and financial services. Angus has represented clients at arbitrations, mediations, defended fixtures and in High Court and District Court trials. His primary focus is on providing pragmatic and commercial advice and achieving the best possible outcome for his clients.
Angus has a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) and Bachelor of Arts from the University of Canterbury and is also admitted as a solicitor in the Senior Courts of England and Wales.
- Advising a leading New Zealand insurer on claims brought by major New Zealand tertiary institution arising out of earthquake damage.
- Acting for the insurer in High Court proceedings relating to business interruption and material damage claims following a factory fire.
- Acting for the defendant in High Court proceedings involving a high-profile international partnership dispute in a claim which exceeds $100 million.
- Acting for a former partner of law firm in 13 week trial involving proceedings brought by over 500 claimants arising out of multiple tax investment schemes including allegations of dishonesty, breach of trust, breaches of the Financial Services Markets Act 2000 and professional indemnity insurance issues (UK).
- Acting for clients in United Kingdom in claims against mortgage adviser and IFA in relation to professional negligence and mis-selling of a residential mortgage and investment products and breaches of the Financial Services Markets Act 2000 (UK).
- Acting for claimant company in a negligence claim against former solicitors regarding conduct of arbitration proceedings, including professional indemnity insurance issues (UK).
- Acting for UK’s oldest casino in defending £7.8 million claim for gambling winnings brought by a high profile celebrity poker player involving allegations of cheating (UK).
- New Zealand Law Society
- Law Society of England and Wales
- New Zealand Insurance Law Association (NZILA)
- Young Insurance Professionals (New Zealand)